Elder Keato's Address

Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos S.U.D.
Caixa Postal 18404
Luanda, Angola

Friday, June 8, 2012

One Week Down, 71 More To Go!


Sorry it's taken me so long to be able to send my first email. But, I have loved getting all of the Dear Elders! Oh, and the package you and Camille sent me was absolutely awesome!!! Thank you so much!
My district is really cool. There are only 6 of us, 3 of us are going to Angola, and the other 3 are going to Portugal. We're all really close already and I know that is going to be an awesome 9 weeks with all of them. My zone is awesome too! There are 5 districts and we're all speaking Portuguese. We all have the same schedule so we all go and play soccer and stuff during gym time. Super fun! We have quite a few international kids in the zone which makes it way fun! There are 2 from the UK and 2 from New Zealand. You know how much I love accents... :) I've got my British accent pretty down. The other disctrict that came in with us has 2 kids going to Angola as well, so we've gotten really close. It's going to be awesome to spend the next 2 years with them. They're all super level headed guys.
On last Wednesday when you dropped me off it was pretty emotional, but once I got into the building I had a feeling of peace and then I was fine. My host took me around to pick up all of my stuff and then dropped me off at the classroom. I saw like 3 people I knew in that short walk, so that was nice. When I got to the classroom Elder Clifford was there, he's from Mesa, Arizona. He's one of the 3 goingto Angola. He likes wakeboarding and snowboarding so we hit it off pretty quick. We've grown to be pretty good friends. The two of us sat there for a while and then they all started pilling in. Everyone was pretty shy at first but after a few days we are all joking around with eachother and havin' fun.
Like I said in my letter I was asked to come up during the "Welcome Missionaries" meeting. Thanks Aunt Kris :) It was cool though to look out and see 400 new missionaries. I only had to say a few things so it wasn't too bad.
My companion is Elder Brown, as you saw in the picture. He has been at BYU for the last year... boo. But, he's from Southern California and is a pretty cool kid. We get a long pretty well. On Friday night we had to teach our first lesson in Portuguese.... NUTS! It was pretty intimidating but once we got in there the spirit kind of took over and then it wasnn't too bad. I can't believe how fast we are learning the language. It probably has something to do with the Gift of Toungues... haha Our teacher Sister Hart served in Brazil and like I said in my letter speaks Port. to us like 95% of the time. It was really frustrating at the start but I can already tell that it's helped us out a ton! She's a super cool teacher. We just got another teacher yesterday as well who is Brazillian. His name is Brother Villanova. He has really good english and is going to be a super awesome teacher.
On Sunday night we had a way awesome divotional with Elder Jensen, he's like the church doctor or something. Right before the devotional President Mciff came up to me at Dinner and slipped me a note that said "I saved a seat for you and your companion up front." THAT WAS COOL! So before the devotional i went up to the front and then saw Aunt Kris, Josh, Jess, and Greg! I'm sure the look on my face was pretty awesome. I was so happy to see them, even though it was only 4 days in. I hope I get to see them again before I leave.
So it's been way fun so far, I really haven't been bored or homesick yet. People always say "You just have to make it through the first week..." I don't know what thats all about cause to be honest I have loved it!
JUST GO DISCO!! Win the Championship for me POR FAVOR! I'm playing soccer every day and missing the team. Just remember who you are and what your fighting for... me.
The church is true, I know it more now than I ever have. The spirit is so strong here at the MTC and my testimony truly has grown immensly!
I'll write you guys a letter also... a half hour isn't quite enough time...
I love you guys so much!! Thanks for all of the love and support! You guys are awesome!!
Elder Hyde

No comments:

Post a Comment