Elder Keato's Address

Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos S.U.D.
Caixa Postal 18404
Luanda, Angola

Monday, June 24, 2013

New Adventure, New Challenges

Well it looks like my time here in Lubango is up, yesterday we got our transfer calls and I am going back up to Luanda. I don't really know what to think, I'm excited for a new adventure but sad to say goodbye to all of these amazing people. This place has been my home for  the past 8 months! It has been so amazing to see all of the changes happen in the branch and see all of the new members mature in the Gospel. It is such a testament of the truthfullness of the message that we have, seeing people's lives literally take a 180. Our Elders quorum president and sunday school president were baptized in December and the young mens president was baptized a month ago. This branch is growing so much and it is really thanks to the faithfulness of the recent converts. I love these people. I've already had to get a few goodbyes out of the way and it wasn't fun... My flight leaves on Wednesday so luckily I have time to see mostly everyone. I am so grateful for the time that I have had to serve here, I fell like I have personally grown so much, not only as a missionary but as a person. My testimony has completely evolved and I know my Savior so much better than I did before. I love this place, and I wish I could truly express what it is like, and what time here has been like, but I don't think it's possible through email. 

I had a great last week in the area, we saw some major progress with some of our investigators. As I think I've mentioned the Law of Chastity is such an issue here, well we have had an investigator named Francisco (he is part of the big family we're teaching) who is about 20 years old and really wanting to find some purpose in his life. He has been living with his girlfriend and when we taught the law of chastity he realized that he isn't even close to ready to be married, so we have been helping make the neccessary changes and this past week him and his girlfriend got separate places and he is going to be baptized in a few weeks! I'm so sad that I won't be able to be there, but I'm so excited for him! He'll be the first of the family to make it into the water, but he definitely won't be the last. 

Another one of our investigators, Julieta, has been doing really well also. She's had a pretty tough last few months. 3 Months ago her husband died, then with his death some other issue came up, and now the government is trying to kick her out of her house that she's lived in for 40 years becuase they want the land... It has been really impressive to see her come closer to Heavenly Father during this time rather than the opposite. She has put complete faith in him and has truly put everything in His hands. We started teaching her the week after her husband died and it has been so cool to see her faith develope. She has a testimony of everything and should be baptized here in a few weeks. She's such an inspiring lady! It's going to be good to hear the updates on all of my old investigators.

Once again, I wish I could truly express my love for this place and for these people. They're my family. There's no doubt that a few tears will fall as I fly away. But, it's time for a new adventure back in the concrete jungle of Luanda! New adventure, new challanges!

I hope that you all have an awesome week! Thanks for the support!

Love,

Elder Hyde

No comments:

Post a Comment