Elder Keato's Address

Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos S.U.D.
Caixa Postal 18404
Luanda, Angola

Monday, July 1, 2013

Independence Day

As of today we are officially our own mission!! Woot!!! We are all so excited. President Merrill got here on Saturday and when all first saw him we went crazy. We probably seemed like a bunch of teenage girls meeting Justin Beiber. Him and his wife seem so awesome. We are so excited to get to know them. We're having a mission conference on Thursday and Friday to get to know them. I am SO excited! That was definitely the highlight of my week.
On Tuesday I got to go around and say goodbye to my family in Lubango. It was a great experience. There were some tearful goodbyes that I'll never forget. I'm so excited to hear about the progress down there. But Wednesday morning it was time for a new adventure, they took me to the airport and I was on my way back to the mayhem of Luanda. And the heat. haha. I am now serving in the Luanda 2 branch, which is actually the biggest branch here in Angola. We had 156 people at church today. I was in awe.. haha. It is a very organized branch and I'm super excited to get to know all of the members. My companion's name is Elder Mccune. He's a super funny kid and ready to work. He's been out for about 6 months now. Our area has a ton of potential and I'm really looking forward to working here. We had a super cool experience on Saturday night. One of our appointments fell through and we were thinking what to do, we came to the conclusion to just contact to try and build up our area little bit. But before we did that we stopped at a bakery to pick up some bread, as we were ordering at the bakery the lady wasn't really understanding us and a guy leaned over and in English said, "Portuguese is hard isn't it." I thought it was funny. But then the guy came up and started talking to us, his name is Alex and is about 23 years old, he's lived in South Africa for the last 17 years and is currently living alone. We got talking and I told him that we were going to the same way as him and we started walking. Thank goodness the chapel was on the way. Long story short, we gave him a tour of the chapel and had one of the coolest lessons of my mission with him. He is by far the smartest guy I've ever taught. He was asking the most perfect questions. He told us that right before he ran into he was on the phone with his mom and she was expressing how she's worried about his spirituality, and that he should find God. The Lord absolutely made us cross paths for a reason. He is a computer programmer and thinks very analytically, but we're confident that he'll progress really well. It was an awesome experience! I'll keep you updated on him.
Well it was an awesome week! I have no complaints! I hope that all is well over there and that you're all happy! Keep on keepin' on!!
Love,
Elder Hyde

No comments:

Post a Comment